The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends a visit to the dentist every 6 months. A teeth cleaning and general exam can help prevent cavities, gum disease, and other oral conditions.
Dentists perform various procedures to help prevent, cure, or reduce oral health conditions. General dentists can perform the majority of procedures. However, for some ailments, you might be referred to a specialist.
Dental specialists include:
- Oral surgeons
- Orthodontists (malocclusion specialists)
- Periodontists (gum disease specialists)
- Prosthodontists (teeth replacement specialists)
- Endodontists (root canal specialists)
- Pediatric dentists (children’s dental specialists)
General dentists perform restorative dentistry (fixing or replacing teeth) and cosmetic dentistry procedures.